Friday, March 6, 2009

Thrifting

Is that a term? I've rediscovered how much I love shopping in thrift stores. I am a spend-thrift and can't bring myself to spend the $15 + for those baskets at Target or Garden Ridge that would be the perfect storage bin in the corner. I think it runs in my blood to be a penny-pincher and have to justify every purchase before I make it. Through talking to my wonderful sister-in-laws, I find they agree for the most part that their husbands, aka my brothers Jim, Mike and Jon, are pretty similar. I guess it's a Laudie thing.

But the local Salvation Army and Goodwill here are great for my penny-pinching self. I love that I can walk out of the store with a big pile of loot for only $10. It does my heart good. I love finding things to help me organize and beautify our little place. Or our (hopefully soon!) new home. These were last week's finds.

A basket for Anna's room to store her books in a readily-available location instead of chucking them all over the floor. All it needs is some spray paint to make it match the room.

The other basket for storage in the bathroom. Ramekins because at 50 cents a pop I couldn't pass them up, and I've wanted some for a while to try to make individual quiches. And other pretty decorations.

I had so much fun that I went back today to see what else I could rummage up. The trip was not unrewarded... I think I'm in love.


Can't beat this adorable little table for $8! I think Anna's in love too. I'm a little jealous that I don't "fit" little tables anymore either. Oh well, I'll have to enjoy her playing with it. Just needs a fresh coat of paint and it'll be perfect for a little table to go with her play kitchen in a little playroom.
Speaking of play kitchens, I wasn't even going to buy one yet for Anna, but I got this cute little one from freecycle. I love freecycle!

Anna is loving using her own kitchen to cook while I cook dinner everyday. I love watching her want to be like Mommy. I found another basket (apparantly I've needed baskets lately!) for 50 cents.

It's the perfect size to hold her little spices, aka discarded empties from Mommy's kitchen.


Oh, and I guess I'll show why I have so many new empty spice bottles. I decided to organize the ever-impossible black-hole that is my cupboard which has been housing all of my spices. They just get so lost in there, fall over all the time, and I have a hard time remembering what exactly I even have. So I ended up condensing a couple duplicates and handed over the empty bottles to a delighted Anna. I saw this idea on a friend's blog a month or 2 ago, and now I have an official spice drawer. Works great for me, and I can actually see what I own now when I cook.


My last find at the thrift store...

Ok, ok, I've already got one of these. So I took this one home for free. Despite the fact that she tried to sell herself for $8.99 with price tags.

5 comments:

Brandon and Natalie said...

It looks like you got some great finds at the store!

I would love to have a spice drawer, but I only have three drawers in the kitchen so I am out of luck!

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

What great finds--especially the little red table!

Hilary said...

I'm a cheapskate too. Have you discovered Craigslist yet? That's a great website for the bigger purchases. I feel like I need to go and buy some baskets now. You just can't have too many. And that spice drawer is a great idea. I might do that!

Jenn said...

Oooh, all good finds! I'd lvoe a spice drawer (we had one growing up) but for some reason there are only 4 drawers in my whole house, I swear.

meg said...

great finds! i think the basket of books next to anna's bed is a great idea--thanks for sharing. =)