Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Creepy Crawlies

Texas is a great place to live. I've really loved it this last year--it's so beautifully green (a perk for the humidity, I guess), people are friendly, the area is gorgeous, lots of things to do here. Yes there's a major attitude of state pride found in just about everyone you meet who lives here, but all in all, it's hard to find things not to like about Texas. Except for the long distance it is to family...
They say there must be opposition in all things, though, and I have certainly found my opposition which I am learning to handle/fight/cope with. Everything is bigger in Texas, and apparantly that is no joke with the bugs and little creatures all around! Which is fine and dandy, I suppose, as long as these said big bugs and creatures stay where they belong--outside!! Heck, I'll even "deal" with them on our covered patio because it is technically outside, but as soon as they try to come into my home they have become Public Enemy #1! A recent duel I had with the world's largest roach reminded me of this little experience/story I had/wrote last summer. So I thought I'd share. I'm sure that my brothers would vouch for the fact that I am a major wuss when it comes to anything of this sort, as they killed their fair share of spiders in my bedroom growing up (of course then chased me with the dead thing in a tissue... they're pros at being brothers!) So Jim, Mike, and Jon, this is for you guys! Know that I am not as complete a wimp as I once was... :)


(sometime last summer...)
I have vanquished the evil known as the over-zealous-gecko-who-overstepped-bounds-by-coming-into-my-apartment!
So I was clearing some things off the couch this afternoon when I saw something move in my peripheral vision--where things definitely should not be moving. The movement quickly disappeared under some throw pillows, and I felt my heart begin to thump wildly in my chest. Fearing the worst (another roach!!! eek!), I ran for the can of Raid and trepidaciously approached the couch on tiptoe, can of Raid brandished as my sword. I picked up the throw pillows one by one by the corner and lifted them, prepared to scream if I saw something on or under them. Under all the throw pillows, there he was. Enemy #1--the creepy-crawly who does not belong--Mr. 2-inches-long Lizard. Before you guffaw into your computer screen in utter mockery of my fears, remember that I am a transplant from Utah (where we don't have geckos freely roaming) who hates all things creepy-crawly that make it inside. However, I am also a kind, humane person (to an extent) and decided that Raid wasn't the way to go. So I quickly backed my way into the kitchen, keeping an eye on the culprit so he couldn't escape, retrieved the trap (one pickle jar, saved for not necessarily this, but for anything I might need a jar for), and returned to the scene. Eyeing my prey, I approached once more, daring him to make a move. As he began to get shifty and run, I plunged with all my might and trapped the perpetrator in the jar and capped it! Good has triumphed once more!!!!
And I am saving one said lizard in his jail to show off to Dan when he gets home.
Here's my captor!


Ok, so yeah, I am still a big wuss. But a wuss that is learning how to deal with the bugs and creatures! Especially since Anna seems to be developing a good, healthy fear of "yuckies", i.e. bugs.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Yeah I'm not a big lizard or bug fan!

My biggest fear is bees though!

Greg and Tammy said...

So glad we found eachother in the blogging world!! Your little Anna is ADORABLE!! Thanks for checking in... I'll do the same to keep in better touch. And BTW, Arizona has some horrible bugs as well and I HATE THEM ALL!! :)