Saturday, July 25, 2009

Happy Pioneer Day!

We sure missed having a nice state holiday off of work today for Dan to stay home. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait for Labor Day. I celebrated anyway by singing "Pioneer children sang as they walked, and walked, and walked, and walked..." umpteen times today with Anna while I sewed this fun bonnet for her. It's actually an apron also that you button back into a bonnet, but I didn't get a picture of it as an apron. Then tonight we had a ward activity with a fun little children's parade and some service projects to work on. We had a fun time getting to visit with and meet people in our new ward. David sure was enthusiastic... I guess there was too much for him to see and focus on instead of smiling for the camera. Of course, this was Anna's favorite part. Tonight when we got home, though, David made up for his unenthused state. Looks like we have a crawler on our hands! I think more baby-proofing is in order. The video doesn't show it very well, but he actually started further back by Dan, and then we kept moving Dan's glasses (why glasses, you ask? I have no idea, take it up with David, or any baby, as to why glasses are so fascinating. He pulled them off Dan's face, and thus a motivation was born) around and having him crawl for them again and again. We're such mean parents.

All in all, a good Pioneer Day. I enjoy this time of year to remember and honor the heritage of our church and think of the sacrifices made and strong faith of the early pioneers of the church, as well as all pioneers around the world past and present. I'm grateful to have the Gospel of Jesus Christ in my life. I'm grateful for the examples of courage, sacrifice, love, and faith that I find when remembering and reading about pioneers, and the hope and strength it gives me to boost my own faith and testimony always, through struggles and happiness.

2 comments:

whitney said...

Oh, how fun! I'm so impressed with the bonnet, it turned out so cute! Our ward didn't do anything in recognition of Pioneer Day, I was a little bummed :P

The Staheli's said...

LOVE the bonnet!! I use to love dressing up for pioneer day! Looks like you guys had fun.